BMW MKIV and Widescreen Owner's Manual (2004)
4 Basic Reasons to Upgrade to the BMW MKIV Navigation Computer:
1) Speed - much faster
2) Better Graphics - Split screen
3) Better features - supports BMW Sirius, MP3 CD ID3 Audiotext Zip code search
4) Single Map for all of the US & Canada
5) 3D Perspective mode. 3D Map view
1) Better Speed. The BMW MKIV Navigation computer is MUCH faster than the MKI, MKII, or MKIII computer. Input in an address and the MKIV immediately maps it's location and directions. I recently wanted to test how much faster it was in mapping a destination so I entered a destination 2000 miles away. It gave me directions in 3 seconds. and drew the map immediately. Try that with an MKII computer. Addresses are inputted immediately and there is no waiting for searches.
2) Better Graphics. The BMW MKIV Navigation computer not only has better graphics but the user interface is much more refined. Not only does the map basically move under your car icon while you drive, like watching your car on TV! But the map will refresh while you're driving almost instantaneously making following visual directions easier and safer. The visual graphics and user interface are the most talked about benefits: These benefits range from split screen technology to faster and better information searching.
Once you open your driver's door the MKIV computer displays the BMW logo on the widescreen display. It is a nice feature that just looks cool
Once you turn on the ignition, the MKIV computer has the NEW user interface with a much better Menu screen.
In addition to the better looking user interface the MKIV supports Splitscreen technology that puts the map on one side and the directions on the other side. This feature is user selectable via the Settings menu.
Full Screen Map
Split screen mode
3) Improved Features. The BMW MKIV Navigation computer has more features. My favorite being
Sirius The latest version MKIV navigation computers support Sirius Radio showing station and song information provided from your Sirius receiver. (Must have new style trunk mount radio)
Destinations+ This feature allows for the searching of informational destinations using partial names and searching perimeters.
From the Information key you can start your search for information using the old style information or the new styledestinations+
Selecting General Destinations brings up the standard searches. Choosing Travel Information provides the new features
Choose from the many options available to narrow down your search
Now is where we get the good stuff. You can choose from the TYPE of restaurant based upon your preference
At this stage you can enter in a the part of the name you are looking for, and can enter in how far you would like to travel from your current location or the destination
Once you make your selection, you get the options, which you can sort thru the options and make your selection
Making a selection allows you to map to the location or call the number with your Bluetooth phone
One Feature I find myself using often is the corporation information to look up a customer's phone number!
The nice thing about the BMW MKIV Navigation computer is that you can always go back to the standard way of finding restaurants just by scrolling thru all of the options at the current location.
4) One Map for all US and Canada. The BMW MKIV Navigation computer uses DVDROM technology allowing Navtech to put all of the US and Canada on one map. No more need for swapping out maps when you go from state to state. The MKIV also supports CDROM for support of the old style maps
5) 3D Perspective Mode. The latest version of the BMW MKIV firmware allows for 3D map viewing via a hidden menu item. To turn on perspective mode, from the main menu of your navigation screen select "settings", then press and hold the MENU button for 8 seconds. Using the left scroll button scroll down to Perspective and turn on
Below are images of 3D Perspective in a couple different scales